It’s been a hot stinking minute!
I miss y’all, but as get further along in my degree, I spend more time on set/stage. Doesn’t mean I don’t have ideas, because trust me, I stalk my grocery store for new ideas weekly!
Which is where this one comes in.
I saw a recipe on facebook, and said wait a hot minute, you can do that????
Oh yeah peeps, this one is definitely a game changer and I’ll explain why in a little bit.
Two words: Cake Buns.
You’re probably thinking, what the hell did she smoke?
Nothing. It was a video, and you know the rebel in me I had to change the game.
Now, in the video, they made cinnamon buns…..with cake mix. I asked around and friends told me “oh yeah, you definitely do that”.
Where have you been all my life???
In this video, they used white cake mix, yeast, water, and flour. So if you are on a low carb/keto diet, I would try to substitute it or just not eat it.
Then of course you use melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon for the inside of the buns.
Real easy right? Too easy for my liking. You guys know me. I had to change the recipe.
Being the creeper that I am, I pieced together my money, and went shopping.
Introducing Strawberry Banana Cake Buns. Here’s the recipe below!
Strawberry Banana Cake Buns:
3 (.25 oz) active yeast packets
2 1/2 cups of warm water
1 (18.25) package of strawberry cake mix
4 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup sugar (optional)
1 tbsp strawberry puree
1 tbsp banana puree
1 container vanilla icing
Note: you can make icing with confectioners sugar or eat these without icing.
1. In a small bowl, let yeast dissolve in water for 10 minutes or until creamy.
2. In a large bowl, combine yeast with cake mix and 3 cups of flour. Stir to combine. Add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time stirring well after each addition. After all mixed together, dump out onto a lightly floured surface. Kneed dough until smooth and elastic. Roughly 8 minutes.
(You can also cheat and just use a bread maker or your kitchaid stand mixer if you have it).
3. Lightly oil a bowl, placing the dough in the bowl. Turn to coat the dough. Place a cover over the bowl, and let rise for 30 minutes in a warm place.
4. Deflate the dough, and roll out on a floured surface. You want the dough to measure out to a 10×16 rectangle. Speed softened butter, strawberry puree, and banana puree on the dough. If you want to add sugar do this last.
5. Roll up dough in a tight log. Cut buns in 1 inch buns. Place on a greased baking pan.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until buns have a gold tint.
7. Let buns cool for 10-15 minutes. Add icing.
(My crew added sliced strawberries and bananas on top as well).
Cool tip! If you want to prep and freeze them you can! Do steps 1 and 2, then put in a labeled Ziploc bag(name and date). Throw it in the freezer, and defrost when ready to use!
I’m thinking this is also a great recipe for a dessert pizza!
Y’all try it and let me know what you think!